Dermatology in elderly
- Like any other organ our skin ages during the years. This is due to extrinsic factors like smoking, diet, stress, sun exposure and pollution of the air but also due to our genes.
Common skin diseases of elderly are
- Pruritus (itch)
- Skin cancers (Melanoma and non melanoma skin cancer)
- Pre-cancerous lesions (actinic keratoses)
- Autoimmune skin disorders (bullous pemphigoid)
- Benign tumors (seborrhoeic keratoses, skin tags)
- Fungal and bacterial infections
- Herpes Zoster
Clincal examination especially for skin cancers is essential especially for persons who where exposed intensivelly in the sun or with fair skin types.